Precinct 1, which includes La Grange and the northwest area of the county, is definitely the hot spot for COVID-19 cases of late, Fayette County Emergency Management Chief Craig Moreau said in his report to the Fayette County Commissioners Court at its meeting on Thursday, July 9.
As of Tuesday, July 14, 35 of the county’s 84 active cases were in Precinct 1.
“We’ve had cases reported at child care facilities and youth camps,” Moreau said. “Some are more significant and widespread than others.” On average, the age of those
On average, the age of those now contracting COVID-19 is younger than it previously was, Moreau said. Early on, the older population were the ones getting sick, he said.
“Now, I would say the average [age] range is about 10 to 40 for the new cases,” Moreau said. “We’ve had several reported for people under 10 as well.”
Moreau said there were three new cases reported in county nursing homes.
“It appears that all these patients acquired the disease outside the nursing home when they went into the hospital for surgery or when their spouse went into the hospital for surgery,” Moreau said. “It looks so far that isolation procedures are working very well. This is another example where we have had some coronavirus inside of our nursing homes but there is no evidence that it has spread within the nursing home. I find that to be very encouraging and another testament to how good the nursing home staff and administrators are doing.”
Moreau also said that county employees have tested positive.
“We have had county employees test positive and several in the offices have been quarantined,” he said. “At least one has already been released from quarantine. None of the county employees are experiencing any major symptoms. All of these appear to be communityacquired at this point, versus workplace-acquired. It doesn’t appear they got it from their co-workers; it appears they got it from the house. We’re going to have the disease in every office eventually; if we can keep the whole office from getting sick at once, that’s the goal.”
County Judge Joe Weber said the disease is going to continue to spread.
“But, at this time, I think in the county, we’re doing a pretty good job – people are on board, they’re trying to wear their mask, they’re trying to maintain social distancing,” Weber said. “If we keep washing our hands and, if you don’t feel good, stay at home. You don’t have to go to things if you don’t think they’re safe. If you do go to things, take care of yourself. If you take care of yourself, you’ll be taking care of others.
“We got to learn to live with this virus and not fall in our holes and die with it, OK?” Judge Weber said. “If we can quit the fingerpointing and the blame, and the name-calling, and everything else that some of our more senior leaders at the national and state level (are doing) and pull together as a country and toughen up a little bit, I think we’re all going to get through this.”
The Court extended the Declaration of Local Disaster for an additional 14 days. Assistant County Attorney Blake Watson said the only change made to the County’s declaration this time was a reference to the governor’s most recent order regarding the mask mandate.
Judge Weber said any large gathering needs to be approved by local authorities. He said individuals should contact the Office of Emergency Management and the County judge’s office with a plan in place for review if planning a large gathering.
Moreau said the governor’s most recent executive order gives the County permission to shut down any gathering over 10 people. Moreau said that most people who have submitted a plan have went above and beyond what is required.